Welcome to Camp Independence!
Camp Independence provides a camping opportunity for children who
have diabetes, emphasizing that the children are able to participate in
all camp activities and have fun. Camp Independence for 2018 will be July 23 through July 27 at St. Mary's Hall in San Antonio, Texas. Updated camper and staff registration forms are ready and will soon be available on the website.
- To provide an enjoyable camping experience for children with
- To provide a safe and healthy environment away from home.
- To enable children with diabetes to meet and get to know one
- To help children, their brothers, sisters and parents learn more
about their disease, how to adjust to it, and how to manage it.
- To provide a respite for parents.
- To help the children understand the elements of a medical program
which will approximate normal blood sugar levels while avoiding severe
- To help children achieve independence and self-discipline in their
approach to life with diabetes.
- To provide an opportunity for health professionals to acquire more
knowledge about diabetes and practice their skills.
Camp Independence of San Antonio is an all-volunteer, non-profit
corporation, providing educational programs for children with
diabetes and their families. It was founded in 1987 to provide a summer
camping opportunity for children with diabetes. From 1987 through 1999,
Camp Independence operated as an educational program of the American
In August of 2000, Camp Independence of San
Antonio incorporated to provide educational programs for children with
diabetes and their family members. In October of 2000, Camp Independence
was granted 501(c)3 status to provide summer camping activities,
including arts and crafts, physical challenges, and motivational
entertainment in an environment to learn the skills necessary for the
child's continued good health. In 2001, Camp Independence expanded its
role in the management of children with Type 2 diabetes by providing a
4-week program for children with Type 2 diabetes.
Postal address: 8730 Avator Circle, Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx. 78015
Email - General Information: Mark Danney
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Created April 2004
Updated 21 Feb 2018
© 2004 Camp Independence, Inc. All rights reserved.
Email Camp Independence
top of page