Welcome to Camp Independence of San Antonio!
Camp Independence provides a camping opportunity for children who have diabetes, emphasizing that the children are able to participate in all camp activities and have fun. Camp Independence for 2019 will be July 22th through July 26th at St. Mary's Hall in San Antonio, Texas. Updated camper and staff registration forms are ready and are available on the website.
- To provide an enjoyable camping experience for children with diabetes.
- To provide a safe and healthy environment away from home.
- To enable children with diabetes to meet and get to know one another.
- To help children, their brothers, sisters and parents learn more about their disease, how to adjust to it, and how to manage it.
- To provide a respite for parents.
- To help the children understand the elements of a medical program which will approximate normal blood sugar levels while avoiding severe hypoglycemia.
- To help children achieve independence and self-discipline in their approach to life with diabetes.
- To provide an opportunity for health professionals to acquire more knowledge about diabetes and practice their skills.
Camp Independence of San Antonio is an all-volunteer, non-profit corporation, providing educational programs for children with diabetes and their families. It was founded in 1987 to provide a summer camping opportunity for children with diabetes. From 1987 through 1999, Camp Independence operated as an educational program of the American Diabetes Association.
In August of 2000, Camp Independence of San Antonio incorporated to provide educational programs for children with diabetes and their family members. In October of 2000, Camp Independence was granted 501(c)3 status to provide summer camping activities, including arts and crafts, physical challenges, and motivational entertainment in an environment to learn the skills necessary for the child's continued good health. In 2001, Camp Independence expanded its role in the management of children with Type 2 diabetes by providing a 4-week program for children with Type 2 diabetes.
Postal address: 8730 Avator Circle, Fair Oaks Ranch, Tx. 78015
Email - General Information: Mark Danney
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Created April 2004
Updated 21 Feb 2019
© 2004 Camp Independence, Inc. All rights reserved.
Email Camp Independence
top of page